Thanks to Thrivent Builds for sponsoring the 2018 Building on Faith house!
Each year, Tacoma/Pierce County Habitat for Humanity celebrates partnership with the faith community with a season of building we call Building on Faith. Every build has a number of milestones; here are a few big days for the 2018 Building on Faith home:
- March 16, 2018: Ground Blessing. Thrivent members and volunteers gathered to pray over the site before building began.
- June 16, 2018: Wall of Hope Raising. The Wall of Hope is the first wall raised in the home, with each 2×6 covered in prayers, blessings and well-wishes for the future homeowners
- November 10, 2018: The fence, crowd-funded by generous donors and vendors, was installed.
- November 17, 2018: The last volunteer build day on the 2018 Building on Faith house.
- December 15, 2018: Home Dedication and Celebration.
Since that cool March day, more than 160 volunteers from 25 congregations have been out to build – using the hammer as instrument of God’s love. We sincerely thank everyone who was a part of this blessed season – especially our house sponsor, Thrivent, and all of our Wall of Hope sponsors:
Brown & Brown of WA, Inc. | Coldwell Banker Danforth | HomeSight | HomeStreet Bank | Immanuel Presbyterian Church | Kitsap Bank | Kitsap Credit Union | Kiwanis Club of Tacoma | Lutheran Church of Christ the King | McKinney Trailer Rentals | Milgard Windows & Doors | Moss Adams | One Hope Church | Our Savior Lutheran Church | Print NW | Puget Sound Title Company | Rainier View Christian Center | Reeder Management, Inc. | Regence | The Rush Companies | Second Use, Inc. | Sound Credit Union | St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church | St. Mark’s Lutheran Church by the Narrows | Thrivent Financial | Transportation Club of Tacoma | The TRUSS Company | Trinity Lutheran Church | University Place Presbyterian Church
To get involved in Building on Faith and/or Wall of Hope, please contact us.
Meet the Homeowners
Future Habitat homeowner Ruben has been working on his sweat equity in Tillicum since April of 2018 – well before he was matched with a specific home.
Most of the time when he was on site, Ruben was working at the Building on Faith home. Ruben was there as the Wall of Hope was raised in mid June, as framing got underway in July, and as siding went up in August.
In September, Ruben learned that the home he invested so much time on would be his home.
Ruben’s family of four will move in just before the holidays. “I was happy,” Ruben says about learning this good news.