Tacoma/Pierce County Habitat for Humanity has a meaningful way for students to spend their summer in service to their community. Our Summer of Service Youth Program provides students (16-22 years) a way to gain marketable skills while serving our community at the Habitat Stores (Tacoma and Puyallup).
Revenue from the Habitat Stores helps build homes for Pierce County families in need.
The Habitat Stores also diverted more than 4 million lbs from landfills in 2018 and recycled 25,000 lbs of metal.
The Summer Youth Program runs Monday, June 24 thru Friday, August 30 with flexible start dates. Summer is the busiest time of year in the Stores and Summer of Service participants play a critical role in our success. Students will help Store staff unload donations on the dock, keep the floor organized, and assist customers with sales.
- Minimum age of 16 by June 1, 2019; maximum age of 22
- Completed application submitted
- Attend a New Volunteer Orientation before first shift
- Commit to a minimum of one 4-hour shift per week (shift options: 9 AM-1 PM OR 2 PM-6 PM, Monday through Friday) AND complete a minimum of seven 4-hour shifts by August 30.
- Earn school-required volunteer hours
- Learn and practice skills that will build your resume, proving responsibility and time management to future employers
- Gain experience working with a variety of audiences, including Habitat staff, shoppers and donors, other volunteers and Habitat homebuyers
- Cultivate professional relationships that could lead to references for college and employment applications
- Receive an official letter of completion and Habitat for Humanity t-shirt.
- Invitation to an appreciation lunch and celebration on Friday, August 30 (optional)
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.