Building Strength, Stability & Self-Reliance
No matter who we are or where we come from, we all deserve a decent place to call home. We deserve to know we have the power to take care of ourselves and build our own futures.
For more than 30 years, Tacoma/Pierce County Habitat for Humanity has provided affordable homeownership opportunities to modest-income families and worked toward our goal of eliminating substandard housing in our region.
- Realize the dream of homeownership through education and individual consultations
- Provide stability for their children
- Have aging in place options for adults
- Gain improved health, physical safety and security through building standards
- Find interest and opportunities to become engaged in their communities
Homeownership is a much bigger challenge than it has ever been. Land is expensive. Rents are climbing at staggering rates.
- According to Redfin, Tacoma has the #4 most competitive housing market in the nation.
- Median rents in Tacoma rose an estimated 8.8% from 2016 to 2017 – the biggest increase by its measure in the country. (Debbie Cockrell, The News Tribune, 4/6/18)
- Recent HUD data shows Pierce County’s low-income families saw just a $100 increase in their annual wages, while the median price of a home rose $75,000 in the same time period.
Behind statistics like these are hardworking families who are too often making difficult choices between paying rent or providing for daily life and emergent needs. Every rent contract cycle brings increasing rental prices. These steep payment hikes forces families out and, with every move, children change schools and fall an estimated 3-6 months behind their peers from more stable living conditions.
With so many families scrambling and struggling to find affordable housing, Tacoma/Pierce County Habitat for Humanity, along with its donors and volunteers, stands in the gap between affordability and accessibly. Together, we provide partner families an avenue to realize homeownership and find stability for their families. Through these practices, we empower families to find stability and strength.