Housing is a basic need.
As a result of the pandemic, many homeowners are struggling to make mortgage payments. Homeowners in the City of Tacoma or an eligible Pierce County city/town* (see below) who have experienced loss of employment or reduction in wages due to COVID-19, and have an income at or below 80 percent Area Median Income, may qualify for foreclosure prevention counseling and mortgage assistance with a $15,000 max per homeowner or six months of payments—whichever limit is met first.
Tacoma/Pierce County Habitat for Humanity is proud to partner with the City of Tacoma and Pierce County to provide this service to eligible residents.
Applications can be submitted online on a rolling basis with applicants being reviewed on a first come, first served basis until all available funds have been awarded. Mortgage payments are made directly to the loan servicer, mortgage company or bank on behalf of the homeowner.
- Owner must own a home within the Tacoma city limits or one of the jurisdictions listed below and owner occupy the home from at least March 1, 2020.
- Must have been current on mortgage prior to March 1, 2020.
- Have mortgage payments past due after March 1, 2020.
- Household income must be at or below of 80% Area Median Income (see chart below for limits)
Household size includes all persons residing in the home that are not renters or caregivers. The income of all household members 18 years or older must be considered.
*Pierce County Consortium Members
City of DuPont City of Buckley Unincorporated Pierce County
City of University Place Town of Carbonado City of Fife
Town of Eatonville City of Edgewood City of Milton
City of Fircrest City of Gig Harbor City of Roy
City of Orting City of Puyallup City of Sumner
Town of Ruston Town of South Prairie Town of Steilacoom
Town of Wilkeson
To expediate your application, please attach or be prepared to provide copies of the following:
- Mortgage statement
- Two months documentation of income for all household members 18 years old or older. This includes paystubs, unemployment statement, social security, pension, L&I, child support or other proof of income.
- Utility bill (to verify occupancy)
Additional documentation may be requested to verify eligibility.
Homeowners living outside the region(s) listed above can contact the Washington State Foreclosure Prevention hotline at 1-877-894-4663 for assistance.