Home Repair Resources
If you own your own home, are a resident of Tillicum and/or a veteran living anywhere in Pierce County, TPC Habitat for Humanity may be able to partner with you for home repair or ADA (accessibility) modifications through either our Neighborhood Revitilization Initiative or Veteran Services programs. If you do not meet our program requirements, below are additional resources who may be able to help.
Provides a one-time per program-year grant to assist eligible low-income households with heating costs. To apply you must live within the city of Tacoma and meet the income guidelines. Payment is made directly to the heating vendor and the amount paid will be based on your last 12 months’ heating costs.
Available to Pierce County residents outside the City of Tacoma. The Energy Assistance Program pays heating bills directly to utility companies for eligible applicants. Program operates during the “heating season,” usually November through April. Payments are based on eligible household’s fuel usage for the past 12 months.
All applicants receive education on energy conservation, utility payment plans, and budgeting
Reduced-rate program for senior citizens and/or disabled individuals who are income-eligible.
Other Sources for Energy Assistance
A few other options for energy assistance are listed below. Please keep in mind that all services are based on the area where you live and availability of funds.
- All Saints Catholic Church (253-848-2000)
- Project Help - Peninsula Light (253-857-1510)
- Salvation Army (253-572-8452
- Salvation Army - Puyallup Area (253-841-1491)
This program is designed for qualifying low-income residents within the city limits of Tacoma, this program provides access to services that will improve energy conservation, including insulation and furnace repairs. Applicant must be owner or renter with landlord approval.
The Weatherization Program has funding that is targeted to income-qualified residents living in electric- and gas-heated homes outside Tacoma city limits. The program covers 25% of the cost of new windows, the homeowner is responsible for the remaining 75% of the costs. Individuals must meet income guidelines to participate in the Weatherization Program.
You can participate in the weatherization program if you're a Tacoma Power customer, your home is electrically heated and was built before 1988. To qualify for new windows, your home must be fully insulated.
General Home Repair
Call for details and current eligibillity. Provides 0% interest loans with payments deferred for up to 20 years to help qualifying homeowners make necessary repairs to maintain their homes.
Four programs. All programs require that residents live within city limits and are age 60+ or disabled. Homeowners only, no renters or lifetime occupancy/lease. Must have a moderately low income with savings of less than $10,000.
- Home Repair Loans - 253-591-5236
- Sewer Line Repairs - 253-591-5236
- Home Rehabilitation - 253-591-5142
Interfaith Care Team Ministry
253-272-8433 x 210
Information only. This program trains church members to create care teams who provide needed service to people in their local areas. Services include things such as providing firewood, cutting fallen trees, mowing lawns while homeowner is ill or injured, cleaning gutters, building ramps, running errands, babysitting.
253-383-3056 x 105
A program of Associated Ministries, Paint Tacoma-Pierce Beautiful provides volunteers to paint the homes of low-income seniors and disabled homeowners. Homes must be owner-occupied.
- Home Rehabilitation Loans - 253-798-4344 or
- Disability Home Repairs - 253-798-4344 or
Year-round program includes home modification and emergency repairs. See website for eligibility information and applications.
Sumner Senior Connection
Provides list of self-employed worker such as plumbers, carpenters, haulers, etc. Workers charge for their services.
USDA Community Development
253-845-0553 Option 4
For homeowners age 60+ or disabled in rural Pierce County. Houses only, no mobile homes unless they are on property owned by the mobile home owner. Repairs must relate to health and safety (e.g., ramps, hot water heaters, furnaces, broken windows, locks, toilets, etc.). Free to recipient. Some grants and some loans.
Volunter Chore Services
Operated by Catholic Community Services, this is a free service provided to very-low-income seniors and the disabled. Provides minimal home repair services such as changing light bulbs or funace filters, changing fuses in appliances, etc.
Provides information on contractors, plumbers, and electricians who are licensed and bonded in Washington State.