General Eligibility Requirements for Homeownership
Interested in owning a Habitat home? Potential homeowners must:
- Attend the Washington State Housing Finance Commission's First-Time Homebuyer Workshop prior to applying, and submit their completion certificate with their application. This free, 5-hour workshop is held throughout the Puget Sound area Monday through Sunday. Find an upcoming workshop that fits your schedule here.
- Live or work in Pierce County
- Have no felonies in the past five years
- Be willing and able to pay a $1,000 down payment within 6 months of acceptance into the home ownership program
- Be willing to volunteer a minimum of 200 "sweat-equity" hours in 12 months toward building houses and completing classes (accommodations for disabilities available)
- Live in substandard, overcrowded, temporary, government-subsidized, or expensive housing
- Have no unpaid collections, judgments, or liens
- Have a total gross household income within the limits below*:
|Minimum Annual Income||$34,000||$34,000||$34,000||$34,000||$34,000||$34,000||$36,730||$40,890|
|Maximum Annual Income||$39,700||$45,400||$51,050||$56,700||$61,250||$65,800||$70,350||$74,850|
*Future neighborhoods may have lower income limits. Households with $20,000 or more per year are encouraged to attend an information session. Household income includes wages, child support, SSI/SSA, veteran benefits, TANF, retirement, and any other consistent income sources.
If you do not qualify for a Habitat home, you may find additional housing resources on our Community Resources page.