Volunteer at the Habitat Challenge
Volunteer at one of Pierce County's most exciting events!
Our event partner, Over the Edge, is recruiting up to 18 rope volunteers to help keep our Edgers safe. Rope volunteers must take a 50-minute webinar before the event, participate in a 3-hour onsite training the afternoon of Thursday, September 21, AND be available for the full rappel day (8 to 12 hours) on Friday, September 22.
Please do not register for the ropes crew unless you can commit to ALL of the above.
However, if time allows, ropes volunteers will enjoy an an exclusive rappel experience following their 3-hour training.
To register for the ropes crew, click here and select USA/Washington to find our event, listed under Habitat for Humanity.
For less time-intensive volunteer commitments, check out our event volunteer needs below.
Event volunteers are needed all day on Friday, September 22. The time commitment for these roles range from 3.5 to 5 hours.
Please review the following descriptions and register here when you've decided on the right role for you:
- Belonging Check - Check-in Edgers' personal belongings (cellphones, wallets, etc. - nothing goes to Staging). Put belongings in a bag, put Edger's claim label on it, and store until they return from the Landing Zone. 2 positions available for each time slot: 7:45am - 12:15pm | 12pm - 4:15pm. Location: Courtyard (outdoors)
- Edger Escorts - Lead Edgers from Registration to Staging and then the rooftop, using key card access and/or freight elevator. 3 positions available for each time slot: 8:15am - 12:30pm | 12:15pm - 5pm. Location: Courtyard (outdoors)
- Gear Transport - Take Edgers' gear and GoPros from the Landing Zone and return to Staging in a timely manner. This position is key to keeping the event on time and running smoothly. 3 positions available for each time slot: 8:15am - 12:30pm | 12:15pm - 5pm. Location: Landing Zone (outdoors)
- GoPro Coordinators - Check out GoPros to Edgers who have raised $1,500+. Collect GoPros from Escorts as they are returned from the Landing Zone, download footage, and burn to disc. Label and repackage disc with Edger's name for distribution. 2 positions available for each time slot: 7:45am - 12:30pm | 12:15pm - 5pm. Location: Staging (indoors)
- Landing Zone Coordinator - Monitor the radio and write Edgers' names on the whiteboard in order of rappel, including the "on deck" Edgers. Help Edgers out of their gear as needed. 1 position available for each time slot: 8:30am - 12:30pm | 12:30pm - 5pm. Location: Landing Zone (outdoors)
- Landing Zone Greeter - Meet Edgers as they descent, present their finishers medal, and help them out of their gear. Hand off gear and GoPros to Gear Transport to go back to Staging. 2 positions available for each time slot: 8:30am - 12:30pm | 12:30pm - 5pm. Location: Landing Zone (outdoors)
- Registration - Provide a warm welcome to Edgers, collect participant waivers and provide wristbands, distribute Edger nametags (worn on sleeve), communicate with Staging, and assign escorts to Edgers as their rappel time approaches. Most importantly, maintain the event schedule. 2 positions available for each time slot: 7:45am - 12:15pm | 12pm - 4:15pm. Location: Courtyard (outdoors) POSITIONS FILLED
- Rooftop Radio - Use radio to communicate the Edger order and specific rope each Edger will rappel on to the Landing Zone Coordinator. Also communicate who is on deck. Help keep the participants in an orderly fashion as they wait their turn to go Over the Edge. 1 position available for each time slot: 7:45am - 11am | 11am - 2pm | 2pm - 5pm. Location: Rooftop (outdoors)
- Staging - Help Edgers into their gear as they prepare to rappel. Collect returning gear from Edger Escorts as they bring it up from the Landing Zone and prepare equipment for the next group. 2 positions available for each time slot: 7:45am - 12:30pm | 12:15pm - 5pm. Location: Staging (indoors)
- Volunteer Check-In - Provide a warm welcome to volunteers. Distribute volunteer t-shirts and brief volunteers on their positions/locations. Once the last volunteer checks in, inventory and pack up all leftover volunteer shirts. Pack up supplies and clean area. 2 positions available for each time slot: 7:30am - 11:30am | 11:30am - 3pm. Location: Courtyard (outdoors)